Wednesday, May 8, 2013

15 minutes could save you 15....enough already!!

Insurance commercials are crazy!! Is anyone getting annoyed by the Geico commercials? They may be clever and funny, but really, please stop with the play on words already!

Take this Geico commercial for example. "Happier than Dracula at a blood bank!" Where to begin... I am a fan of cynicism and a play on words but I think I've been desensitized with all these commercials from Geico. Especially the guy made out of money!! How does it start? Wait... "Chances are, you aren't made of money!" Of course the irony is self evident.


I don't know why but all insurance companies are moving towards this model. Geico with its crazy commercials. My least favorite was Gallagher at a farmers market! I'm not particularly fond of Gallagher. Although the worst of them are the General Insurance commercials with its horrid little tune and catch phrase! Ugh!

Take Allstate, Geico, 21st Century and State Farm. Everyone of them is trying to out do each other with their own cooky commercials. I think my favorite is Allstate featuring Mayhem as portrayed by Dean Winters, I think that dude is pretty funny (check out the commercial). The above commercial, not so much. I was a customer of Geico for seven years before I switched from Geico to USAA. Not really because of the commercials but because of the savings offered by USAA.

I was surprised because I thought Geico was the cheapest but it really isn't... I'm not sure if I believe these commercials anymore. Maybe because people are becoming annoyed with these commercials. It's not fair but guess what Geico, life is not fair!! How you like them apples? Enough of my own play on words.

The point is that I think insurance companies have realized that people are happy to switch only if they actually save money. Consumers have realized that they actually need to save money and aren't fooled by gimmicks and clever commercials. They need actual savings..So... the lesson for all insurance companies is stay clever but also stop spending so much money on marketing and actually save people money. Thank you!!

posted by Farrukh Memon

1 comment:

  1. I understand where you are coming from. These commercials are pretty funny and I actually get excited when a new one comes on. Some of the ads are stupid like the body builder directing traffic. Really? Do you think that this marketing campaign is working for Geico and having customers switch to Geice. Or do you think that this is a sunk cost for Geico and they should update their marketing campaign?

    ReplyDelete