Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Best in Class!!


I recently saw this commercial on the tele and started to smile and dance because Tetris was my favorite video game growing up. I even downloaded the musical score that was redone in a techno dance style mix thing! It was boss!



Car commercials, in general, are fairly mundane. I haven’t noticed many clever car commercials lately and this one stood out. Every time I watch a car commercial, it’s always about the same thing. The style of the car or the EPA MPG rating or how powerful it is. Now there is a trend that the American car manufacturers are following. They highlight features of the vehicle that are mundane yet important; 
and this is the more entertaining of the bunch that I have noticed.

The music is the most noticeable part of the commercial and then you see the old familiar shapes that are falling down a white screen. Very nostalgic and very entertaining because I was kinda dancing a little. It is interesting to notice that the American car companies have moved to a more practical side of the business. Highlighting features of the cars that are not really mentioned by European or Japanese car companies have certainly helped their revenues. Ford has certainly seen increased market share in the US and China and GM has come back from bankruptcy to once again dominate the market.

I have noticed that Lexus focuses on the looks and the performance of the car, as well as Audi. I haven’t noticed Mercedes-Benz or BMW mentioning trunk space or interior whereas Dodge has really employed a great marketing campaign and reintroducing the Dart to the market. It’s a cool looking car and I may consider buying one. It does have some fierce competition from Ford with their Focus and Toyota with their Corolla and Honda with their Civic. Hmm!! That’s a lot of cars!!

I think GM did really well in this commercial. The music was great and I think the idea was really clever with using the shapes to fill the trunk to highlight all the space that GM has created in the car with secret hiding spots and of course massive trunks while still keeping the other functional areas of the car solid and well….functional. They leave out the EPA MPG and price and instead just state that it is "Best in class!" for trunk space. I've always been confused with that quote... Best in class?!? There are classes that only measure trunk space? Welp...That's America for ya! We have "Best in class" for every category known to man/woman! (Don't wanna leave anyone out there!"

The commercial was great and I enjoyed the music very much. The idea was very clever and using all those shapes to fill the car. Genius! Good job Chevy.

Posted by Farrukh Memon

No comments:

Post a Comment